Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Power of the Chapel - Email April 22, 2013





Dear Family,
   We have had quite the week and by that I mean it is has been pretty uneventful but good things are happening here! For one the toe nail polish Kaili sent me has been put to good use and thanks to that and Jergen's Natural Glow lotion I feel somewhat like a girl again. It's a miracle! This newly wedded guy we had an appointment with named Alberto texted us and said "FYI, you three are hott for some mormons..." So despite the fact that Lupe says I was pretty BEFORE my mission (haha Love you Lupe) apparently I'm not completely busted...yet. Hahaha. We are having a blast. I always thought a threesome would be miserable but we are loving ours. I feel like it is really cool preparation for having a family. We call McBride our child...she is hysterical...a complete nut. The other day we accidently knocked on the wrong door for a return appointment and it happened to be this atheist guy we had met the day before. So McBride just says "Hi...we were just coming by to see how you are doing.  You doing okay?" Later we were joking because it was like "You still atheist..oh good...welp see ya later." We literally laugh all the time. Pierce and I seem to have this belief that we are going to be seperated again and because of that we have a hard time going to sleep at night because we can't stop talking. Things are still very slow here but they're good!
I don't know if I mentioned this to you but when we got to Yakima there were two investigators, a family and another lady. This week, within 36 hours, they all dropped us. We have been knocking doors like there is no tomorrow and we are seeing some results.
Last Monday night we met a lady who is very content in her church but her son is having a hard time because he has gotten in with the wrong crowd at school. She told us that she has been praying for him because he doesn't want to go to church with her. We found both of them home together and invited him to be taught. I told her that sometimes Heavenly Father answers our prayers through other people. She agreed to sit in with him and we came back and had a great lesson with them.
Friday night we were knocking in a trailer park and saw a mother and daughter outside. We approached them and they were nice but both said they were really busy and didn't know when they would have time. We walked around the block knocking and as we were walking back to our car we passed a different trailer. Turns out the daughter lives there with her little family and was just pulling up as we walked by. We asked if she needed any help getting a shelf out of her trunk and she said no but then she said, "I actually have a question for you, do you teach on Saturdays?" We told her yes and she asked if we could come back the next day. We had a great lesson with her and think she is a searcher.
Yesterday we decided to drive past where we usually go in Moxee into the hops fields and passed one house that looked promising (there was a hispanic man outside). We pulled over and knocked on their door. The mom let us in (I think because Hermana Pierce was shivering) and we started to teach her. A few minutes later her 17 year old daughter came in. We reintroduced ourselves and starting teaching again. The mom was having a hard time understanding what the Book of Mormon was and so the daughter explained. She said, "Mom, it only makes sense that if there were prophets on the other side of the world there would be prophets on this side too and the Book of Mormon is a record of those prophets." It was like she was bearing her testimony to her mom about a book she had just heard about for the first time. She has a light in her eyes and we are so excited to teach her! Then the dad came in and he was just as cool! Good things are happening here! We are having a hard time containing our joy after we walk out. We always say "Stay calm, stay calm" and then when we know we are where no one can see us we do a little victory dance. It's pretty hilarious. Someone is probably going to catch us one of these days and it will be pretty embarrassing but Pierce does a pretty mean heel click.
    This week we had interviews with President Greer. We had a training meanwhile with the APs and we talked about the importance of the chapels in our churches. I realized as we sat there that so many of the really special experiences in my life have taken place in the chapels of the church. From my baby blessing to my confirmation to my mission farewell to my first testimony in spanish. I'm so grateful for those sacred experiences. Then President Greer got up and he started pointing to an elder who is about to go home. He said Elder, in a couple years you are going to stand up here and bless your baby. Then he pointed at me and he said "In about 14 years Hermana Jones is going to have a little boy and he's going to sit right there and then he's going to pass the Sacrament for the first time. And then Hermana Pierce your son is going to sit right there (pointing to the Sacrament table) and he is going to bless the sacrament."  It was so powerful and I realized what kind of mom I want to be and how much I want to teach my kids. I'm so grateful for the gospel in my life. I can't wait to have a family. But right now this is my season to share the gospel. Please keep praying that we will see miracles here.
    I love you all so much!
-Hermana Jones
Picture 1- McBride begged me to let her straighten my hair yesterday. It is long.
Picture 2- We have encountered a lot of animals here...this is Jack the goat. This is what happens when we tract. If only the people flocked to us like the goats.
Picture 3- Remember how I hate animals? What am I doing here holding a rooster? No one knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment